Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Souperman Fights the Winter Chills

On this cold, snowy day, a friend and I visited Souperman, a long-but-not-very-wide restaurant in the downtown Crossroads area that specializes in - what else - soup!

We shook the snow off as we entered Souperman and were faced with a chalkboard listing all the freshly-made soups for the day. We put in our order at the counter and by the time we paid, our lunch was ready. The smells in this place are amazing!

The place was busy, but mostly folks were taking their lunch away, probably back to work. We had no problem getting a table in the mostly metal-themed dining area.

I chose the Poblano Corn Chowda and a Portobello Mushroom with Roasted Peppers, Goat Cheese and Grilled Onions Sanditto. The chowda was the right blend of creamy/spicy/corny goodness and the sanditto just made me smile.

What's a Sanditto? Well, it's basically a foil-wrapped, enclosed panini, with all your favorite stuff in there. I'd say it's like a Hot Pocket, but those are gross, and this was delish. Just try one, okay?

My dining companion had the Curried Pumpkin Bisque and a Smoked Turkey Melt with Swiss, Tomato, Spinach, and Pesto Sanditto. I didn't get a taste of either, darn it! By the time I'd gotten my face out of my lunch, her lunch was gone!

Souperman only serves lunch, and is only open from 10:00am - 3:00pm. Go early to get the best choices, before they are gone. This is the perfect place to chase away the winter chills.

website: http://www.kansascitymenus.com/souperman/

0 comments: