Friday, February 8, 2008

Sarah's on Grand...is Grand!

I visited Sarah's last night for dinner. I had heard from no less than three independent sources that I absolutely had to go check this place out. Never one to ignore a good restaurant recommendation, I made reservations for 8:00pm on a Thursday. When we got there, it was obvious that reservations were not needed during the week - we were one of two tables occupied in the very trendy dining area.

After talking to Sarah post-dinner, she told us that dinner hasn't quite caught-on yet. Lunch is very busy though.

Our dinner started out with a brisk discussion of the decor, including all the interesting art on the walls, the orange flourescent lights that face the street and especially the interesting placemats, which were black metal and looked like many different-sized washers had been welded together.

Then the food came, and we forgot the decor entirely.

I ordered the Gorgonzola Pasta w/petite chicken meatballs. Once I read "petite chicken meatballs" I knew this was the entree for me. I had to see what "petite chicken meatballs" were! Let me tell you, they were delicious. The dish was comprised of corkscrew pasta, roma tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and the aforementioned meatballs. All happily bathed in a gorgonzola cream sauce that was rich, but still light, if such a thing is possible. Mmmmm....

My two male companions both opted for the Chicken Under a Brick. One was surprised when the entree arrived sans brick. However, they both devoured the somewhat flattened (from the brick, I suppose) chicken breast and the mashed potatoes and asparagus that accompanied it. A light cream sauce was drizzled across the entire thing. Clean plates for both of these two! I was only allowed one bite!

My female companion went for the Trout, which came with a little "belt" of cubed sweet potatoes, drizzled with a balsamic dressing. I got a bite before she dug in and found both the trout and the sweet potatoes very flavorful and yummy.

Our male companions wanted dessert. Since Sarah is the former pastry chef from Capital Grille, I was interested, but just too darn full from the Pasta. But when the Flourless Chocolate Cake, drizzled with raspberry sauce arrived, I caved in a tried it.

Most if not all Flourless Chocolate Cake that I've had (and I've had a lot, okay?) is somewhat dry. As you eat it, you have to "cleave" off bitefuls from the main cake. Not this one. This was the most moist and gooey Flourless Chocolate Cake I've ever had. It has ruined me forever. In a good way, of course. Again, I was slow and only got two bites this time. Drat!

So, in a nutshell....try Sarah's! It's a grand place for dinner.

website: http://www.sarahsongrand.com/

0 comments: